Sunday, October 18, 2009

Andrew Makes My Day

I just got a wonderful E-mail from my grandson Andrew. Wow, was I happy when I read what he wrote. He said he follows my blog, and he wants a copy of my new book. I was just thrilled to hear from him. What is joy it is to know that someone is reading and enjoying my writing.

As a project writing can be lonely, but once you have comments from your readers, it makes the project lots of fun. That is why I keep taking and teaching writing. I am in a small class at the Y, and I am teaching Life Story writing there as well.

Next week, I have another job interview at New England Technical College. I just found out that they offer programs year round. I don't know the details yet, but it is always worth an interview. I am booked for one on Wednesday. Who knows what will happen, but it is always valuable to network and take interviews.

I never called for an interview, but I went to a talk at the senior center, and the speaker talked about writing during the Depression , and I found out that she is head of writing at that college.

By networking, I got the interview and I will meet with her this week. In a tough economy, networking is the name of the game.No one is hiring, but if you know someone, and they like you, they may even create a new job. You have nothing to lose, and right now in Rhode Island the job market is grim.

So the next time you hear someone speak, or you meet someone who is interesting, introduce yourself, and connect. Make yourself a business card, even if you don't have a business. Put your name on your card, your full address, phone and skills. People do hold onto these cards. You can even use the back of the card for more information. Keep your cards with you, and the next thing you know, they will get you your future job.

I have several cards, and I just made a new one with my two addresses. You could do the same, with your college and home address. Not only is the card good for jobs, but if you meet a wonderful new potential date, give that person your card. Your social and business life will be on a roll. Let me know how your new card has changed your life!!

Thanks for reading and sharing.

Fancy Nancy --It is all is the CARDS1

1 comment:

  1. Great networking advice from the Master Networker....Fancy Nancy!

    Love you so much now and always,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

After your comment you can select anonymous and push post to have your comment published.