Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Happy Fancy Nancy Gets Maytag Fixed

I have enjoyed my 23 year old Maytag for many years. Up until today, I never had to spend any money on this amazing machine. This past week my Maytag started to leak. Since we are leaving for Florida shortly, it did not pay to even think about replacing it at this time.

The best bet was to call a serviceman and let him diagnose the problem. I called two companies, and over the phone they had different opinions. It reminded me of my doctors. Well, at first I was confused. Which company should I use?

I thought about the question, and based on the fact that one company was nearer and would come sooner, they won out. I was concerned about my decision since the closer company wanted $90 just for a diagnosis.

Well I took a chance and today they arrived. They diagnosed the problem , replaced a $9 part, and my old Maytag is happy again. So is Fancy Nancy who loves this old machine. The machines from that period were made by Maytag. Today, Whirlpool makes the Maytag, and based on my newer Florida washer, the old ones were much better.

I am happy to report that the $99 I spent was well worth it. There was a time before I finalized my decision that I questioned my plan. Now, I am happy with the results, and based on what the serviceman told me, he was sorry he got rid of his old Maytag.

Perhaps the lesson here seems to repeat itself. After you have thought about a solution, you have to feel good about your choice. A recent book that I read about decisions stated that there is a rational part of decision-making, but there should also be an emotional part as well. If the outcome is positive, you will like the result, and you feel happy about your choice. The book also said too many choices can confuse a person. I agree with that as well.

It is hard to know in advance if your decision is correct, but I feel best once I have made a decision. I can't sit too long on an issue without some sort of resolution. Even if I make the wrong decision I can accept that. Indecision is what upsets me the most.

So now Fancy Nancy and her Maytag are happy again and my $99 was a bargain. It all depends on how you look at things! I think I saved money by not considering at new washer. Time will tell if I was right.

Fancy Nancy Fixes the Old Maytag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

After your comment you can select anonymous and push post to have your comment published.