Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Fun Day Learning

Today, I had my job interview, and if New England Tech has needs next summer, I may be teaching there as well. I do love to teach, so perhaps I will be teaching at two places, the Y and the college. With part-time programs you must be most flexible since most places base their teaching needs on enrollment. Often this is a last minute situation.

Next, I attended a seminar at the Crowne Plaza. The title of the program was Wall St. and Main St. The seminar talked about stock market trading with puts and calls. The speaker talked much too fast, and when I wrote a note saying SLOW DOWN, his answer was ," I will never get through all the material.". It did not matter to him that no one was able to understand him. His goal was to " Just get done!"

I have taught public speaking and one of the first rules is to notice if your audience is with you. He was more concerned with spouting all the information, and he had no idea what was going on with the listeners. My guess is he could use the basic public speaking course.

Tonight I listened to an excellent speaker who is also my audiologist from Mass. She was invited to speak at the library and her subject was about new equipment in the field . It was definitely worth listening to her. She knows her subject well, and she was always concerned about her audience. What a difference in speakers.

I really enjoyed the day and learned about different topics. The fun part is learning, and it seems that teaching and learning are two sides of the same process. We learn from each other and the teacher learns from her students. That is why it definitely pays to listen.

There is a saying," God gave us two ears and only one mouth". We should listen twice as much based on what we have been given. It is good advice. If you let the other person talk, they will think you are wonderful. You don't have to say a thing, but you will have made points!

Happy Listening from Fancy Nancy

1 comment:

  1. BRAVO FANCY NANCY....

    WORDS OF WISDOM INDEED...

    2 EARS--1 MOUTH...

    ENOUGH SAID!!!

    LOVE NOW AND ALWAYS,
    LYNN

    ReplyDelete

After your comment you can select anonymous and push post to have your comment published.