Friday, October 9, 2009

Lahey Clinic Makes Good Sense

Today I was most pleased with the results of a Lahey Clinic apt . with a skin doctor. I had consulted a Rhode Island skin doctor, and they were going to do a biopsy on my lip. Before I would allow it, I decided it makes good sense to go to a dermatologist at Lahey Clinic.

I called on Monday and I was lucky to get my apt. in five days. In Rhode Island it can takes months to get booked. We went to Burlington last night so that we could be on time for my 9am apt. The doctor I saw is Director of a skin cancer program, so my guess is that she is quite familiar with the subject.

After a consultation and exam, she said, I do not think you need a biopsy. Boy was I glad that I went there instead of just the one opinion from Rhode Island. She told me to watch the area, and if there was swelling or a change, then get another apt. wherever I was. Otherwise she said,"See you in a year!".

What a difference. It seems that it definitely makes good sense to go to Lahey Clinic when you need some reliable advice. My daughter told me that she left her skin doctor in Florida, since every apt. her wanted to do a biopsy. When the doctors are paid by the hospital clinic, they seem to be less greedy and less pressured.

In any case, I was happy I went. Otherwise I would have done the procedure. I know in the past there have been several times both in Florida and in Rhode Island that tests were suggested, and when I checked it out at Lahey, the tests were not needed.

I think when it comes to medicine the patient is much better off in the large clinic since the doctors are paid a fixed salary, and they do not have to support a private practice.

I was relieved and pleased that I went further and did not have any tests without a second opinion. It may take a bit more time, but more than once Lahey Clinic has helped me out. Overall , I felt it was worth the trip, and time well spent.

As my daughter Lynn says, "When you do not know what to do, listen to your gut!" I took her advice and I am glad.

Fancy Nancy Listens to Daughter Lynn!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and GOD BLESS!
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice sentiments.
    The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    I have one inspirational and very wise mom!

    Love now and always,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

After your comment you can select anonymous and push post to have your comment published.